How To Choose a Moving Company
Moving can be an overwhelming task as it is, but when you have a moving company that operates in your best interest, the experience becomes easier. With this, you can avoid encountering delays, damaged and missing items and hidden charges. As such, it helps to know what to expect, being thorough in your search and aware of red flags. In this guide, we will help you hire the right moving company, saving you time and energy.
Know What To Expect From a Moving CompanyA local moving company can help you if you are moving within the same city or less than 50 miles away. However, if you are moving to another state, you will need to hire an interstate moving company. But whether interstate or local, moving experts will handle the labor-intensive tasks for you by taking charge of the following:
- Estimate or Surveying
- Packing and unpacking
- Taking apart and reassembling furniture
- Lifting objects up and down staircases
- Loading and unloading
- Insurance for your possessions
- Appliance installation
Follow the Rule of ThreesTry not to accept the first estimate you are given, no matter how promising it may seem. Instead, explore your options and ask at least three moving companies. Ideally, you want the residential moving company to provide you with an in-person estimate for accuracy.
Do Your ResearchOnce you have a shortlist of candidates, take the time to search for each of them online. Doing this part can save you from potential scams. Some of the things you should consider in your search are:
- Qualifications. Professional movers must possess proper training and experience. Find out how long the residential moving company has been in business.
- Ratings and Reviews. Reviews are the strongest trust signals on the internet and allow you to learn about other customers' past experiences. Seek out a moving company with good ratings and reviews.
- License and Registration. You want to partner with a local or interstate moving company that is fully licensed and insured to avoid any hiccups. The company should have a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) number issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Watch Out for Red FlagsThere are many well-meaning local moving companies out there. While you may want to avoid it at all costs, there are chances you might encounter scammers seeking to steal your hard-earned cash. Here are some warning signs you are dealing with an unreliable local moving company:
- The movers are asking you to pay a large deposit. Reputable movers won't demand cash or a sizable deposit upfront. You should have the right to settle the payment when your belongings are delivered completely.
- The moving company recently changed its name. Some dishonest moving businesses use alternative identities to avoid being reported to authorities.
- There are confusing fees on the estimate. Ask for a breakdown of the costs and ask about any miscellaneous fees. Make sure you understand all the service charges listed in the breakdown.
- You are given a "guaranteed" quote. Do not transact with a moving company if they provide you with a "guaranteed" quote upon consultation. This type of quote is an inaccurate estimate.
- The movers are unwilling to do an in-person consultation. A residential moving company that won't meet with you in-person or visit your home for consultation and surveying is likely up to no good.
- The company has no physical address. Another red flag is a company's lack of physical address. A local moving company with legitimate registration and license would have an apparent physical address on their listings.
Ask QuestionsWhile affordable prices are enticing, it is wise not to choose the cheapest offer hastily. So before you settle, further narrow down your shortlist. Then, take the time to get to know the local or interstate moving company by asking the following questions:
- Do you have a license and insurance?
- How long has the firm been operating?
- Do you provide loss or damage protection?
- What is the timeframe for the project?
- Do you have any references?
- Can you give me a written quote and contract?
Get Expert Help From Armbruster MovingIf you are ready to hire a moving company, look no further. Armbruster Moving is a reputable moving and storage company. Our team has been in business for 25 years and has received multiple awards because of the quality of our service. We have proudly worked with countless residential and commercial clients. So whether you are planning to move short or long-distance, our team of professional movers is here for you. Get in touch with us or call (330) 220-6400.
Based on 208 reviews